There are certain requirements a person must meet if they wish to gain British Citizenship, let’s go through them and break them down. However, if at any point you feel you need the services of an immigration lawyer in London, please do get in touch.
You may lay claim to British Citizenship through a multitude of different ways, including but not only, birth, ancestry and 5 years of legal residence in the United Kingdom, but you must also be able to prove that these are the case if they apply to you.
Other ways of gaining British Citizenship include,
- You must be able to demonstrate the intention to live in the UK.
- You must meet the English Language Requirement
- Be able to pass the Life in the UK Test
- Applicants absences from the UK must not exceed 270 days throughout a 3 year period
- Have UK residency for the last 3 years and are a settled person.
If you meet this criterion then you are eligible to apply for a UK passport
British Passport Application in detail
All passport applications are handled by the Identity and Passport Service (IPS). They’re a government department and when applying for a British passport you must attend a meeting with an IPS representative to confirm his/her identity, the person applying for the passport must be 16 years old or older. After applying it will take roughly 6 weeks to process the request before the passport is issued to you. You are advised not to make any travel arrangements whilst you wait for your passport.
If you are in urgent need of your passport, there are two different types of services the IPS can offer you.
- Fast-track you, where you will receive your passport inside a week
- Premium one day service, where you will receive your passport within 24 hours of you applying (under extreme circumstances only).
You can contact the IPS at 0300 222 0000